15 Comments

15 Responses to “Nellie Scott, Lizzie Strachan, Mrs Brunton, Bessie Taylor, Lizzie Robson, Polly Donkin, Mrs Brunton’s niece Mrs Brunton’s brother”

1. sylvia fleck February 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

lizzie robson was my nanna,my mothers mother,my mam was lillian, and she had 4 sisters.

2. John Hetherington February 25, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

I’d love to see a date associated with this image. My grandmother was Bessie Burton of Cullercoats, the age of the photo would lead me to hope that the girl in the picture was her. If anyone has a date, or perhaps a little more than ‘Mrs Brunton & her brother’, I’d be eternally grateful.

3. Teresa Brunton March 5, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

The fashions, shoes and cap of Mrs Bruntons brother, date around or just before the 20s .

4. Teresa Brunton March 5, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

Who is Mrs Brunton ithe wife of William George or Jacob could you advise.

5. Peter Burns March 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Lizzie Robson was my Grand mother, my mothers mother. she was married to Edwin Robson and had five daughters, Elizabeth, Edith, Lillian, Phyliss and Elsie.

6. John hetherington April 4, 2014 at 7:28 am #

There were several Brunton families in Cullercoats at that time, however, this could not be my grandmother Bessie. Her father John died in 1919 when she was 9 but the girl in the photo looks a little older. Also the reference to Mrs Brunton suggests a married name and since my great grandfather had only one brother who didn’t live to see his teenage years, we must assume it couldn’t be them. Teresa, your probably nearer the mark with William of Jacob.

• John hetherington April 4, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

So much for my ideas. I mentioned this picture to my mom, and she said straight away, that’s your great grandmother, Mary Brunton (nee Richardson). That means the girl isn’t my grandmother, but instead she is the daughter of George Henry, William or John Richardson, who is probably sitting next to her. These were themselves the children of Thomas Richardson and wife Margaret of newsham.

7. Teresa Brunton April 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

So which Brunton was her husband. There were a lot of Bruntons in Cullercoats, seems all related.

8. John Hetherington April 30, 2014 at 7:22 am #

Mrs Bruntons husband was John Brunton (1881-1919). He worked at the Railway Power Station on Burnside Road in 1991, but I believe I remember being told that he died after the Great War having been rescued from a sinking ship during the latter stages of the war. Any more information gratefully received.

• Pam Lambert May 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

I am interested to read what you have said about John Brunton 1881-1919 and glad to see a photo of his wife. I too have John in my tree he was a second cousin to my late father. His burial took place 20 July 1919 at St Paul’s Church in Whitley Bay. I do not have any further details as to how he died though.

9. Teresa Brunton May 4, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Could you possibly elaborate, 1991?

10. Teresa Brunton May 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

…Must be John Lisle Brunton, Lisle given as a middle to either girl or boy. Lisle was a Cullercoats family.

11. Janice Williams May 12, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Lizzie Strachan was my Grandmother on my fathers’ side. Her mother was Kitty Laidler a fisherwife from Cullercoats.. My Grandma had five children. Jack, Martin, Andrew Kathleen and Betty.

12. John Hetherington May 16, 2014 at 6:22 am #

I have compared the above photo with my family snaps and I have no doubt that Mrs Brunton is Mary Elizabeth Richardson (1885-1956) who married John Brunton (1881-1919). The 1991 reference was a mistype and should have been 1911. I referred to the census of that year. Always read and reread what you type….

13. John Hetherington May 16, 2014 at 6:25 am #

Also I don’t believe John Brunton was a Lisle. His mothers maiden name was Mills with some Forsters in previous generations, but he was not on the lisle side or the Storey side.