Watching for the boats

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Watching for the boats”

1. maureen merrick February 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Please could you tell me where I can get a copy of Watching for the boats as the fisherwoman is my grandmother Mrs. Downie. I have a similar photo but not this one.

Hopefully yours

Maureen Merrick (nee Downie)

• Take of the Herring May 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Dear Maureen,

You are welcome to download the image on the website.

2. Ann Young (nee Owbridge) July 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I believe this lady and my mum shared the back yard of our homes. I only knew her as Mrs Downie and she was an ‘old’ lady then.It would have been about 1945. I remember her always wearing the typical black dress of the Cullercoats fishwives. I remember she rescued my hand from the large ‘mangle i had been playing with. We lived at 15 Back Simpson St. Our front door actually opened into the back lane of Simpson St but I believe Mrs Downie’s faced into the main street opposite ‘Rumney’s shop?

3. maureen merrick November 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

You’re exactly right Ann, I am Maureen Downie, (now Merrick) and I remember playing with you when I visited my Grandmother.

Cheers

4. Kelvin Wilson January 10, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

I have a large database- over 10,000 names- of all people connected with Cullercoats in (primarily) the 19th century, and have become curious to hear to which name the face of the lady above belongs… Could you tell me, please, Maureen? In fact, if I had the names of your own parents, a click on the button might suffice for the database to tell me all… Thank you.

By the way, in February I will be giving two talks at Cullercoats on my research into its fisherfolk, and in some interesting cases, their faces… keep an eye out for it being advertised in the “Evening Chronicle”!

5. Andrea White July 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

I’m researching my family history and have discovered my great grandmother Isabella Moor nee Sturrock lived at 58 Queen Street, North Shields and is quoted as being a ‘fish dealer’ in the 1901 census. Her husband, William Henry Moor was a ships engineer and was often away from home. Is a fish dealer the same as fish wife and would she have made a decent living from this occupation?

I have also discovered a short clip showing the fish quay at North Shields in 1901 and it looks to be a very male oriented environment.

I would be very grateful for any information that sheds light on my ancestors.

Many thanks